Tuesday 10 February 2015

Support Great Ormond Street Hospital as I run round Upton Park

The Boleyn Ground
(or Upton Park to most)
In just under a month, I am undertaking my first ever half-marathon, I am filled with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. However, the cause is a great one, as the money raised will be going to Great Ormond Street Hospital and specifically towards much needed funds for the Badger Ward (their respiratory ward). 

In order to make my training a little more fun, I am running at a couple of places with a little more interest than the normal long dull roads, and also places related to the building and construction industry.

The cause has been selected because our Managing Director, Steve Rogan, is a keen supporter of Great Ormond Street Hospital, mainly because his nephew Tom suffers from Cystic Fibrosis and receives amazing care there. Steve and his nephew are huge Arsenal supporters and one of the ideas was to run around the perimeter of the Emirates Stadium a few times in an Arsenal shirt. That might sound a good idea to some...

However, I am a West Ham supporter, so it is not the most appealing of ideas! But in the spirit of raising money, you have to put yourself through pain, so I have agreed to do this. There was one stipulation though...that I did the same at West Ham in a West Ham shirt.

This Thursday (12th Feb.) I am running five times round the outside of the famous Boleyn Ground, as part of my training, and for awareness of the cause. 

The Boleyn was constructed in 1904 and designed by architect Henri Pillipe Tiite Parker. The Hammers are set to move to one of the world's most high profile construction projects, the Olympic Stadium, for the start of the 2016-2017 season. 

I would be very grateful if you could make a donation towards this worthy cause:

Donate here

To tie in with the West Ham theme, there will be an opportunity to bid for a couple of items of West Ham merchandise/memorabilia and all proceeds will be donated to the cause. Item 1: A signed copy of Martin Peters autobiography...details here.

More details on the Arsenal adventure will be revealed soon, once I have managed to finalise my new latex face for the day!

Chris Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment