We believe that this is great news for the sector, as it comes under increasing competition from the Internet and the DIY sheds.
Interaction with your customers, learning about new products by actually seeing them and gaining face-to-face expert advice, as well as, being able to collect products the same day are, for most in the trade, paramount.
Maintaining these benefits are vital for both the merchant and the building products manufacturer to fend-off the competition from the net and the sheds.
As part of the new initiative, BMF merchant members will be required to commit to the 10 point Charter, and encouraged to display it with pride at the merchant counter and on their website.
A separate version of the Charter for BMF Supplier members, which gives corresponding pledges to their merchant member customers, will further assist BMF merchants to offer the best possible service to trade and consumer customers.
If you are a looking for a new job at a merchant or are a builders merchant looking to recruit in internal sales and customer service staff, please take a look at our recruitment services for the merchant sector.>>
John Newcomb, managing director of the BMF, said: “We want the building trade to make BMF merchants their first port of call because they know they will get the best service there. By signing up to the Charter, BMF members are signaling their intent to constantly seek to improve their operation, to work with their suppliers to improve the effectiveness of the building materials supply chain, and to give customers real value for money
“The Charter not only demonstrates the professionalism of BMF members, but it also highlights the wide-ranging support they offer to their customers.”
Under the terms of the Charter, BMF merchants promise to:
- Deal with customers promptly and fairly
- Ensure that any complaints are handled equitably
- Hold comprehensive and quality stock
- Promote sustainable products and materials wherever appropriate
- Offer product advice from experienced teams
- Provide prompt deliveries
- Provide structured credit facilities
- Commit to best standards of health and safety
- Minimise any adverse effects which their operations might have on surroundings and neighbours
- Minimise and recycle waste and manage waste disposal in a responsible manner
- Prompt and fair dealings with merchant member customers
- Help to stock and display our products
- Sustainable products and materials
- Technical support and product training
- Commitment to improve the effectiveness of the building materials supply chain
If you are a looking for a new job at a merchant or are a builders merchant looking to recruit in internal sales and customer service staff, please take a look at our recruitment services for the merchant sector.